Alterations and improvements

You don’t have to let us know if you are redecorating, but if you want to make any alterations or improvements to your home you need to request permission.

This can include:

  • Removing or changing kitchen or bathroom units and fittings
  • Installing central heating or moving radiators
  • Putting up satellite dishes or television aerials
  • Putting up sheds, fencing, driveways or decking

We will only grant permission to any alterations or improvements that require a Building Warrant or Planning Permission, on the condition that the plans have been approved by the Council’s Planning Department.


Right to compensation

If you are given permission to make alterations or improvements you might have the right to compensation at the end of your tenancy. Please  contact us to find out if the work you have done is a “qualifying improvement”.

If we have to refuse permission to carry out any alterations or improvements in your home, we will always let you know the reasons why you cannot carry out the work, for example if the work was likely to cause damage to the property or cause a nuisance to your neighbours.

If you go ahead and make an alteration/improvement without our permission or fail to adhere to any of the conditions attached to our permission we will exercise our right to re-instate our property to its previous condition and you will be responsible for the cost of the work.   


More information

If you would like more information on what improvements or alterations you can make to your home, or if you would like to request permission, please  contact us

Stay Connected