General information for Larkfield tenants during the coronavirus outbreak
- Is Larkfield having a rent freeze like some mortgage companies?
Unfortunately, social landlords are not able to do this. However, we’re putting measures in place to support tenants through this difficult time. If you have lost your job or had a reduction in your income as a result of the current pandemic:
- our dedicated team will give advice on applying for benefits for tenants who have lost their job or had their income reduced
- if tenants engage with us and make payments when they can towards rent and arrears, we will continue to review the rent account and place a hold on any legal action for a period of three months
- we have added a section on our website to give additional advice
- I’ve not lost my job, but my hours have been cut and I am concerned about the time it will take to get any UC and my arrears will increase.
We expect UC to take longer than usual to process and for the first payment to be received. Providing you keep us up to date with the progress of your claim, we will not pursue you for arrears during this period.
- My neighbour is behaving anti-socially, why is Larkfield not dealing with this in line with their procedures?
At this time, we ask people to try to be more tolerant and understanding as everyone is under a lot of pressure. People are out of work or working from home and trying to come to terms with this. Understandably there will be more household noise as there are more people around the home.
Whilst we are unable to carry out visits to tenants at the moment, we can attempt to contact your neighbour by telephone. If the anti-social behaviour continues, you may wish to consider contacting the police on 101 or the anti-social behaviour team at Inverclyde Council on 01475 717171.
- My neighbour had a party/friends over last night, surely that’s not in line with government social distancing rules, what is Larkfield Housing going to do about this?
We don’t have the ability to deal with this as this is not a breach of tenancy. Keep yourself safe and you should contact the police on 101 to report this.
- Can Larkfield carry out repairs if I am self-isolating or someone in my home has the virus?
We cannot carry out urgent repairs if you or anyone in your household has the virus or is self-isolating. You will need to contact us again at the end of the period of self-isolation or when the virus has cleared.
- My gas is due to be serviced, but surely Larkfield shouldn’t be coming in my house?
Larkfield has a legal duty to carry out a gas safety checks on all gas installations within 12 months of the previous check.
We will write to you if your gas service is due. If you have any concerns, are self-isolating or have any symptoms please contact us and we will agree with you the best course of action.
- What is the current arrangement for refuse collection.
Inverclyde Council have changed their services and have closed their recycling/refuse sites. see www.inverclyde.gov.uk. Please be mindful that you should still continue to put your Black bin out weekly for collection and return it to its normal storage place once the bins have been emptied.
- I am in the process of terminating my tenancy, where do I return the keys to?
At the moment you can post your keys (recorded delivery) to our office:
Larkfield Housing Association
14 Lothian Road
- I am worried as I cannot get out to top up my prepaid meter
There is lots of help available for people who have pre-paid meters. Energy suppliers will help you if you are unable to get out to top up during the coronavirus outbreak. This could include credit being sent in the post or added to the smart meter if you have one.
They can also support you if you are struggling to pay your bills so no credit meter disconnections will take place. This could mean your payments are reassessed, paused or reduced during the crisis.
Any credit given is repayable and will be recovered through the meter as a weekly charge once the crisis is over.
If you are experiencing hardship please contact your supplier for more information. If you're a Larkfield tenant you can also contact IHEAT HEAT@thewisegroup.co.uk or 0800 092 9002. They will advocate with your energy supplier on your behalf.